This post (probably) contains affiliate links, including Amazon Associates links, and I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking through one. This is at no extra cost to you and allows the site to keep running! Thanks for understanding.
Ok, I’ve finally packed my backpack and I’m ready to go. Well, I’m not quiet sure if I’ll ever be FULLY ready to travel with my crazy boyfriend but I’m about as prepared as humanly possible. I’ve gotten a few messages about packing from some lovely people in a similar situation to myself. SO, I thought a list of what I was bringing might be helpful to anyone else staring at a pile of clothes and a bag that said pile is never going to fit into.
First things first, ROLL. No no, put down that joint, I mean roll your CLOTHES. Obviously this won’t work for bigger chunky items of clothing (I didn’t roll my wetsuit) but anything else, roll roll roll. I used to be sceptical about this technique, but I have been converted.
Another thing I would recommend is to make sure you pack a few changes of clothes in your hand luggage. The last thing you want is your bag to go missing and be left with nothing to wear at the start of your trip.
Keep all the irreplaceable stuff in your hand luggage too. Phone, camera, laptop, chargers etc. Oh and make sure you will recognise your checked in luggage. Tie some ribbons on it or get a very distinctive luggage tag. Personally I’ve stuck a bunch of adorable keyrings that I got in Japan on mine, a pink ninja being one.
Anyway, without further adieu here’s what I’ve crammed into my insanely pink, keyring covered, backpack.
- Packing cubes. Amazing for keeping everything separate and easy for unpacking/repacking.
- Clothes. One hoody, one light raincoat, a couple of dresses, a couple of bikinis, wetsuit, some shorts, two pairs of light trousers/leggings, a long sleeved tshirt for when I inevitably get burnt and need to cover up, a light jumper for layering and the usual socks/underwear.
- Pashmina. Handy to have in my bag in case there’s an impromptu trip to a temple and I have to cover up. Can also double as a sarong/scarf/wrap or pretty much anything.
- Make up. Too much make up.
- Sun screen. Array of factors. 50, 30 and 20.
- After sun and aloe vera gel.
- 50% deet. I always get eaten alive by mosquitos.
- Drugs; painkillers, antihistamines, motion sickness, anti diarrhoea, rehydration, decongestants, anti malarial, pill, hydrocortisone cream etc. Being a pharmacist I found it very hard to cut down the list of drugs I thought I might need. The bag I have them in is bursting at the seams.
- Sunglasses. Got my BeShades. Sorted. They are literally the only pair of sunglasses that I have ever been excited to wear.
- Cap/hat of some variety. Luckily I am a hat person.
- Deck of cards for drinking games.
- Drawing pad and notebook.
- Jewellery making supplies. CRAFTING!!
- Antibacterial wipes. General first aid supplies.
- Make up removal wipes.
- Sewing kit. Handy to have but to be honest I think I’ll probably end up throwing something out before I attempt to sew it. However, if I get a blister on my foot at least I’ll have a pin to lance it with. Sexy.
- Shower bag and toiletries.
- Passports (I have two)
- Vaccination booklet for proof of vaccination.
- Wallet (cards, currency, emergency contact details)
- Torch/headlight. I just realised my headlight doesn’t work. … so just a torch for me.
- Phone/ipad/laptop. So I can keep writing for your entertainment 😉
- Flight socks. I am SO worried about varicose veins it is ridiculous.
- Hair care. Detangling spray (if I didn’t have this stuff I’d have to just shave my head or get dreads), Dry shampoo, shampoo/conditioner, comb, etc.
- Shoes. I have one pair of runners/pumps, one pair of sandals and a pair of the most comfortable jelly water shoes that are ,unfortunately, hideously unattractive.
I THINK that’s everything. I’ve forgotten something no doubt. But I think that should get me by. Hopefully this was of some use to at least one of you! Wish me luck!