This post (probably) contains affiliate links, including Amazon Associates links, and I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking through one. This is at no extra cost to you and allows the site to keep running! Thanks for understanding.
Last month I spent a month driving around New Zealand’s South Island in a 2003 Nissan Sunny. I know, #luxury . It didn’t even have a CD player. TAPES, it took TAPES! I like to think of it as a “retro road trip”.
Now, we all know New Zealand is one of the most beautiful places on earth (or should I say Middle Earth?!). BUT, maybe I’m a bit biased? I was born there after all. Maybe it’s not that beautiful?? I know, how about I just show you and you can judge for yourself.
Here’s 16 of my favourite photos from the South Island of New Zealand. Most of them are panoramas, because that is literally the only way to even TRY and squeeze in all of the beauty of this country into a photo.
1) Lake Matheson (Mirror Lake).
2) A Helicopter Flight on Fox Glacier.
3) Milford Sound (On another rainy day).
4) I’m not going to lie, does anyone know where this is? There’s so many beautiful rivers in the South Island of New Zealand, I 100% forgot to note the name of this one.
5) Hokitika Gorge – That water though.
6) Takaka Hill – Funny name, pretty view.
8) Lake Rotoiti – The quintessential South Island of New Zealand tourist picture.
9) Hokitika Gorge – This was on a SUPER misty day as well, imagine how beautiful it is when the sun is shining!
10) Wharariki Beach – It was windy as hell, I ate a lot of sand.
11) Fiordland National Park, on the drive to Milford Sound. #realmiddleearth
12) Wharariki Beach – If Hobbiton was going to be on the South Island of New Zealand, I’d say it should be here.
13) Rakia Gorge – *sings* Laaayyydeeee innnn reeeeedddddd *stops singing* That’s me there!
14) Akaroa Harbour – This place is gorgeous and just outside Christchurch!
15) Pohara – The seagull showed me the way.
16) Lake Rotoiti, from a different side where there were zero tourists….. buy still plenty of eels. It was raining. My ass got soaked.
So what do you think? Is it beautiful enough for you? Yeah…… maybe I’m not just being biased.
Oh and shout out to my boyfriend for taking the photos with me in them.
Travel tip: If you’re thinking of doing a road trip in New Zealand, I HIGHLY recommend using AirBnB (In a non-pushy way, if you sign up with this link we BOTH get money off our next trip). I stayed in ones in Westport, Wanaka and Queenstown and they were INCREDIBLE. There’s even one in Tasman, Nelson where you can stay in a BOOT. Yep, like the little old lady who lived in the shoe. That place has got sole!
Ok, enough puns from me! Stay tuned for more fun/informative ramblings from your favourite Irish-Kiwi (that’s me, by the way) in the near future.
P.S: I own all these beautiful images, so if you want to use them, contact me via my contact form so I don’t have to sue you! 😉